Written by: Doc Savarese Cartoon by: Peter Copen
Pickleball Vacation Getaways
So, you like to hear the sound of rhythmic pops and the sound of laughter in the air. These are the sounds of pickleball vacations calling to you. From resorts and spas to pre-planned vacation packages, to tourist destinations with active pickleball clubs, there are hundreds of possibilities. Therefore, to help you pick the best pickleball vacation, I scoured the internet, interviewed our traveling tournament champion (Tom Kendrick), and selected the locations which not only define relaxation but also offer incredible pickleball courts. Since the majority of us are interested in domestic rather than international destinations, the following have been selected (including one in Baja Mexico) based upon reviews:
· The Villages Retirement Community north of Orlando FL: 150 courts, 528 rentals listed averaging around $100.00 per night.
· Pebble Creek in Goodyear AZ: 20 very busy private courts during season (1500+ pickleball club members). Includes all resort amenities.
· Pine Nursery Park in Bend, OR: 16 courts encompassed in a 159 acre complex. Many recreational activities are available.
· Freedom Park, Palm Desert, CA: 10 public courts with many surrounding places to stay.
· Palm Desert Resort, Palm Desert, CA: 20 semi private courts. Less expensive rates from July to September when temperatures exceed 110 degrees.
· Centennial Park, Paso Robles, CA: 8 public courts with RV camping available.
· Tres Palapas Baja Pickleball Resort, Las Barriles, Baja Mexico: 6 lighted courts (most interesting),
· Bobby Riggs Tennis Club, Encinitas, CA: 12 semi-private courts, 2 lighted for evening play.
· Casa Grande RV Resort and Cottages, Casa Grande, AZ: 35 pickleball courts plus all the amenities. 2 newly lighted.
· Graeagle, High Sierras of Plumas County : 6 public courts with fabulous outdoor activities. Campground and resorts available.
If you know of any other great pickleball getaways, please email me and I’ll share them in future articles.
WHERE: East Rec. Center lower courts, Courts #1 and #4.
WHEN: New players (strictly beginners) Introduction to Pickleball and Coached Play (for beginners & novices), Tuesday from 9:00 – 11 a.m. The first hour is for newbies and the second hour is for coached play.
ATTIRE: Court shoes with non-marking soles.
EQUIPMENT: Balls are provided. Loaner paddles are available for introduction and coached play. These balls and paddles are for use only on the Oakmont Pickleball Courts. WEBSITE: https://oakmontpickleball.shutterfly.com
NEW PLAYER CONTACT: Pauly Uhr, email@example.com, 707-984-4186, and/or Nancy Lande, Nancy_lande@comcast.net, 707-978-299