OVA board will hold a special virtual meeting Thursday at 3 p.m. to discuss the procedures for opening Oakmont’s pools with a goal to open pools by this weekend. The west rec pool will open when the heater is repaired
Sonoma County has issued an updated order now allowing outdoor swimming pools to open for lap swimming, fitness activities, physical therapy or exercise. The order outlines specific requirements and guidelines about how to grant access.
Many members have been requesting access to the pools, and we ask for patience as we prepare to do that. The pools have been maintained, for example, but not heated during these many weeks of sheltering in place. Pool operating systems must be checked, and OVA rules must be written for pool usage following CDC considerations and USA Swimming regulations. We must also provide guidelines for restricting locker rooms and gathering areas at the pools. Here are some of the county order’s requirements pertinent to Oakmont:
1. Limit the number of participants.
2. Designate pool space and areas in such a way that Social Distancing and Hygiene requirements can be maintained.
3. Close areas that encourage gatherings to allow for greater social distancing. Seating will not be available and swimmers need to bring their own chairs.
4. Indoor locker rooms and changing areas shall remain closed to the public.
5. Adhere to CDC Guidance, and USA Swimming Facility Re-Opening Messaging and Planning
Guidance (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html), and USA Swimming Facility Re-Opening Messaging and Planning Guidance (https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/coaching-resourcesdocuments/covid-19-team-resources/facility-reopening-plan-guidelines.pdf?sfvrsn=8a533a32_2).